Saturday, April 2, 2011

mmmm....homemade pizza!! And store- bought chicken.



I made some pizza Thursday night and it's a keeper.

DOUGH...

1 envelope dry active yeast
1 cup warm water
up to 3 1/2c flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 tsp salt
1/4 c veg oil

TOPPING
pepperoni, sliced mushrooms
can of pizza sauce, 15oz (used half),
fresh mozzerella, sliced
garlic cloves
fresh basil (about 5 leaves)
1/4c romano cheese, grated

In large bowl, add warm water to yeast until it foams, about 5 min. Add 1 cup flour, cornmeal, salt, and oil. Stir to combine.
Add flour 1/2 cup at a time until dough is a soft ball and comes away from the side of the bowl. I ended up using 2 1/2cups the first time.
Knead dough intil it becomes elastic and no longer sticky, about 10-12 minutes.
Place dough in a greased bowl, and cover with damp towel. Let rise, aobut 1 hour. It should double in size.
Punch dough down and knead another 2 minutes. Press into greased pizza pan. Cover and let rise 20 minutes.

Preheat oven to 500.
When dough is done rising, add some sauce to the top. I added about 8-10 ounces of pizza sauce.
Layer on the cheese. I used about 8 ounces fresh mozzerella, sliced.
Add pepperoni, mushrooms.
Sprinkle on some garlic and basil.
Top with Romano.

Bake for 15 minutes at 500. If needed, reduce heat to 400 and bake some more. My crust was nice and brown after the first 15, and the pizza was perfectly tasty.

TIPS- I originally used both regular mozz and fresh because that's what I had. I loved the look and taste of the fresh on the pizza. Holly LOVES fresh mozzerella, so I would probably go all fresh next time, and she can eat the leftovers!
This recipe is from 'more of America's Most Wanted Recipes', which i am obsessed with :) so I will be using it often. This recipe is emulating Uno's Chicago Grill's pizza.
I love the crust...it's a thicker one, and the cornmeal makes it great and different.
I also love the use of fresh basil and garlic sprinkled on the pizza. It looks great and adds flavor.
My girls are picky about toppings. Miranda wants JUST CHEESE. Holly and Grace want JUST PEPPERONI. I think i would like some mushrooms! So my next idea is to make the pizza with 3/4 pepp and shrooms, and 1/4 justplain!!
That's the beauty of making it yourself. No pizza parlor would put up with such fractions!!



And...I tried making another recipe but it was a fail. I used frozen chicken tenders for the meal. Guess what? The kids loved the tenders. I do not buy a ton of processed frozen foods, but they are handy to have in the freezer when life gets busy. So I decided that these chicken tenders will be regular staples. Just in case!!


No comments: